Most Viewed Stories
- Three proposals to reshape O.C. leagues make it to final voting stage
- Orange County baseball top 10 (3-27-17)
- Fryer on baseball: Huntington Beach looks to defend title against nation's best
- Orange County softball top 10 (3-27-17)
- Sage Hill's Chona tosses second consecutive no-hitter to tie CIF-SS record
Saldivar, Magana pace Los Amigos past Estancia
COSTA MESA - Jerry Saldivar rushed 35 times for 223 yards and three touchdowns, and Anthony Magana added two scoring passes as Los Amigos took advantage of seven turnovers and dropped Estancia, 41-14, in a CIF-Southern Division first-round game Friday night at Estancia.
Saldivar went over the 2,000-yard mark for the season, but it was a 16-yard touchdown pass from Magana to Luis Casas that staked Los Amigos (8-3) to a 7-0 lead late in the first quarter.
- OCVarsity Hot Shots: Friday's playoff games
- OCVarsity Hot Shots 2: Friday's playoff games
- OCVarsity Fandemonium: Friday's games
- Updated CIF-SS football playoff brackets
- Fryer: Playoff openers deliver tough lessons
The Lobos scored again when Saldivar capped a 59-yard drive with a 21-yard run with 9:22 to go in the first half. He also carried the ball five times on an 82-yard drive that ended with a 29-yard scoring strike from Magana to Casas with 1:32 remaining in the half.
Estancia’s (7-4) hopes of getting on the board in the first half were dashed when quarterback Brad Wilson fumbled at his 45, and Matt Camargo returned the ball for a touchdown, making it 28-0.
After carrying the ball 16 times in the first half, Saldivar paced the Lobos’ offense in the second half.
“He has been our workhorse all year,” Los Amigos coach Carl Agnew said. “We were able to move the ball really well. We had an idea we would be able to.”
Friday’s game featured two of the county’s top running backs. Estancia’s Robert Murtha was held to 64 first-half yards before finishing the game with 213. He scored on a 27-yard run late in the fourth quarter to account for the final margin.
The Lobos will take on defending Southern Division champion Corona del Mar in a second-round playoff game Friday night at Bolsa Grande.