Most Viewed Stories
Gearing up for the Battle for the Bell
It is time for the annual Battle for the Bell game between rivals Fountain Valley and Edison.
This year's meeting is set for Friday at Orange Coast College at 7 p.m.
Tickets are on sale at each schools' financial office. The financial office hours are 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. The offices are closed for lunch between 1-2 p.m.
There will not be any ticket sales the night of the game.
Ticket prices are $8 for adults, $3 for children under 12 and visiting-students with an ASB card.
Tickets purchased at Fountain Valley will only be admitted on the Fountain Valley side, and the same restrictions go for tickets purchased at Edison.
The gates at OCC will open at 5 p.m. Friday.
Fountain Valley's last victory in the series came in 2004 (21-20). The Chargers have won the last seven meetings in the series.
• More ticket presale information: Tickets for the Servite-Mater Dei game on Nov. 2 will be on sale to the general public later this week at both schools.
The game will be played at Angel Stadium. Tickets start at $15.
Contact the schools for more information.
• With a 17-14 victory over Orange Lutheran this past Friday, Santa Margarita coach Harry Welch became the 21st coach in the state to reach 250 career victories.
Welch's career winning percentage of .823 is the second best in the state among coaches with at least 250 victories. His career record is 250-53-2.
"That was a very big win for us, without so many kids out (with injuries)," Welch said of the victory over Orange Lutheran.
• St. John Bosco of Bellflower is 3-0 in the Trinity League with games against Servite (Friday) and Santa Margarita (Nov. 2) remaining.
One key reason has been the performance of senior running back Darren Walker. In three league games Walker has rushed for 458 yards and scored eight touchdowns.
• The Cox 3 Game of the Week will feature the Sea View League contest between San Juan Hills (7-1, 1-1) and Capistrano Valley (6-2, 1-1).
The first showing with be 11:30 p.m., Friday.
• As a five-team league, the Sea View League is guaranteed two playoff berths.
There are two at-large berths available in the Southwest Division, which is made up of the Century, Empire, Freeway, Sea View and Sunset Leagues.
• Looking ahead, the CIF-SS playoff pairings for the 8-man divisions will be announced Monday.
St. Michael's Prep is ranked ninth in Division 2 in the final 8-man poll that was released by the CIF-SS on Monday.
All of the information for the 11-man divisions will be released Nov. 4.
• Here is my top-10 vote this week: 1. Mission Viejo; 2. El Toro; 3. Mater Dei; 4. Santa Margarita; 5. Edison; 6. Tustin; 7. Tesoro; 8. Orange Lutheran; 9. Los Alamitos; 10. Villa Park.