Most Viewed Stories
Brea Olinda's Kim leads point-guard list
Point guards are the generals on the court.
They are the ones that direct the offense and give it a kick start when needed.
Here are Orange County's top point guards in girls basketball:
10. Natalie Perales, Segerstrom: This scrappy ballhandler is the catalyst of the Jaguars' offense, and she is averaging 16.4 points per game.
9. Brooke Salas, El Dorado: This sophomore keeps the Golden Hawks' offense flowing with her smooth assists, and she can put some points on the scoreboard.
8. Geena Gomez, Edison: The St. Joseph's-bound senior can score with the best of them, but she also gets her teammates involved in the offense with her slick passing skills.
7. Hailey James, Foothill: This senior has big-game experience and she can be relied upon to hit big shots when needed.
6. Lindsay Uyematsu, Canyon: This senior leads the Comanches in scoring with 16.5 points per game, and she is dangerous behind the 3-point line.
5. Barbara Sitanggan, Troy: This freshman has nifty ball-handling skills and she uses her court awareness to beat presses and set up her teammates for easy baskets.
4. August Touchard, JSerra: This senior creates offense for herself and her teammates with her drives to the basket. She is a huge reason why the Lions are contenders for the CIF-SS Division 4AA title.
3. Maddy Ziering-Smith, Laguna Hills: The senior is battle-tested in big-game situations. She not only dishes out and scores for the Hawks, but she is also a strong rebounder.
2. Andee Velasco, Mater Dei: Mater Dei is blessed with many weapons and Velasco makes great use of them with her accurate passing. She tied the school record with 14 assists in a victory over Camarillo on Saturday. Velasco is also very consistent from the behind 3-point line.
1. Anna Kim, Brea Olinda: The Long Beach State-bound senior attacks the basket with ferocity, has a great pull-up jumper, and she has great court awareness. She is the main reason why the Ladycats are still the team to beat in the Century League.
This is a big week for No. 7 El Dorado in the Century League. The Golden Hawks play at No. 4 Brea Olinda on Tuesday at 5:45 p.m. and at Canyon on Friday at 5:45 p.m. ...
Here is an updated schedule for the fifth OC/SD Challenge on Saturday at Santa Margarita High: Santa Margarita JV vs. Our Lady of Peace JV of San Diego, 1 p.m.; Edison vs. Woodbridge, 2:30 p.m.; Orange Lutheran vs. Our Lady of Peace of San Diego, 4 p.m.; Santa Margarita vs. Mission Bay of San Diego, 5:30 p.m.; and Troy vs. Quest Prep of Las Vegas, 7 p.m. ...
The fourth Tony Matson Memorial Classic will be at Orange Lutheran High next Monday. Here are the matchups: Santa Margarita vs. Sierra Canyon of Chatsworth, 1 p.m.; Rosary vs. Cantwell-Sacred Heart of Montebello, 2:30 p.m.; Mater Dei vs. Pacifica of Oxnard, 4 p.m.; Orange Lutheran vs. San Clemente, 5:45 p.m.; and in a boys game, Orange Lutheran vs. St. John Bosco of Bellflower, 7:15 p.m.