Most Viewed Stories
- Mater Dei triumph sets up showdown with Chino Hills in Open semifinals
- All of Tuesday's boys basketball, girls soccer playoffs coverage
- Boys basketball playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- Girls soccer playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- Villa Park finishes strong, advances to 2AA semifinals
Corona del Mar makes it look easy vs. Beckman
TUSTIN - Corona del Mar made quick work of Beckman at Tustin High on Friday night and cruised to a 33-7 victory behind Cayman Carter’s four first-half touchdown passes in a game that also featured senior kicker Grif Amies booting his way into the record book.
Amies broke the county’s single-season record when he converted his 17th field goal, a 27-yarder with 1:54 left in the first quarter. The previous county record of 16 field goals was held by Art Sorce (Newport Harbor) and Tim Hatcher (El Modena).
- OCVarsity Hot Shots: Friday's games (Week 10)
- OCVarsity Hot Shots 2: Friday's photos (Week 10)
- Fryer: Top teams' showdown turns into rout
Amies added a 33-yarder with 16 seconds remaining in the first half to finish with 18 field goals on the season. He missed a 48-yard attempt in the third quarter.
CdM (8-2, 5-0) ends the regular season on a six-game winning streak, the latest victory all but assuring the team top seed in the Southern Division playoffs. CdM’s last loss came at the hands of Capo Valley, 24-7.
Beckman (3-7, 2-3) fumbled on its opening possession, and the Sea Kings wasted little time scoring their first touchdown, going 44 yards in three plays as Carter hit Bo St. Geme for a 21-yard scoring strike.
The next CdM drive was nearly identical to the first as it capped a three-play drive when Carter hit Troy Reese on a 7-yard fade route.
St. Geme’s next catch also went for a touchdown, this one for 41 yards, making the score 23-0.
Carter went 11-for-13 passing for 142 yards, St. Geme had seven catches for 108 yards, and Kai Wilson rushed for 128 yards.
The Patriots will have to rely on an at-large berth to crash the playoff party.