Most Viewed Stories
- Football recruiting: Mater Dei's Osiris St. Brown grabs two Pac-12 offers
- Football: Mater Dei freshman receiver offered by Oregon
- Football recruiting: Santa Margarita kicker commits to SEC school
- Updated schedule for CIF-SS football semifinals
- Football recruiting: Mater Dei's Amon-Ra St. Brown offered by Alabama
Fuga gives Brethren Christian push to victory
HUNTINGTON BEACH - Jared Fuga ran 21 times for 217 yards and two touchdowns as Brethren Christian staved off a late surge by Fairmont Prep and took a 40-28 victory in a nonleague game at Ocean View High.
Fairmont (2-4) had closed the gap to 34-21 on the first play of the fourth quarter when Bobby Varnadoe connected with Omar Ali for a 69-yard touchdown pass. But the Warriors answered quickly, with Fuga bursting 66 yards up the middle to make it 40-21.
Earlier, Fuga scored on a 22-yard run that gave Brethren Christian (4-2) a 27-7 advantage.
The Warriors had the ball for much of the third quarter, scoring the only points on a 5-yard run by Anthony Moore with 6:54 left. After a three-and-out by Fairmont, Brethren Christian ran nearly six minutes off the clock despite making just one first down on the drive.
Midway through the fourth, Fairmont narrowed the margin to 40-28 on a 1-yard run by Varnadoe. The scoring drive was set up when Brethern Christian fumbled a punt snap on the 10. After that score, the Warriors ran another four minutes off the clock before punting with 1:07 left.
Fairmont travels to Southlands Christian on Friday, while Brethren Christian visits Monte Vista.