Most Viewed Stories
- Brown prepared to hold the line when Mater Dei goes for Division 1 title
- OCVarsity's countdown to the football championship games
- Fryer: Best offenses seem almost unstoppable
- Love for the game helps Santa Ana's Briseno brothers do great things
- Capo Valley proud of its fast, aggressive 'Dark Side' defense
Boys swimmer of the week: Jack DesCombes, Capo Valley
Capistrano Valley, Jr.
DesCombes anchored the Cougars' three winning relays to help lead Orange County's top-ranked team to a fourth consecutive title at the Millikan Southern Section relays Saturday night at Capistrano Valley. DesCombes split a 21.26 anchor in the 6x50-yard freestyle relay (2:10.17), a 22.78 anchor in the 4x50 backstroke (1;38.61) and a sizzling 45.79 anchor in the 4x100 freestyle (3:07.70).
"He's a gamer," Capistrano Valley boys swim coach Steve Yancey said of DesCombes. "He likes to race. He reminds me of Spenser Goodman. Spenser Goodman always loved to race. Jack loves to race.
"I would love to lead him off so he could have this wonderful split ... but he loves being the anchor."