CLAREMONT — The two Orange County teams that reached the CIF-SS finals each came up one match short of a championship.
University fell to Peninsula of Rolling Hills Estates 14-4 in the Division 1 final, and Canyon lost to San Marino 11-7 in the Division 2 final on Friday at the Claremont Club.
For the Trojans (19-2), it's the third straight year they have finished runner-up. University tinkered with its lineup against the Panthers (23-0), moving Yuki Asami into doubles, but could not compete with a Peninsula team that was ranked No. 1 in Division 1 from the start of the season.
The Comanches (20-1) fell behind 5-1 early and trailed 9-3 after two rounds. Canyon actually closed it to 9-6 at one point during the final round but could not dig itself out of its early hole completely. San Marino (16-2) won the Division 2 championship for the second straight year.
Here are the individual results from each of the two matches. Look for full stories on both University and Canyon in Saturday's Orange County Register and online at OCVarsity.com.
Peninsula 14, University 4
(1) Celine Gruaz (Uni): Lost to Annika Ringblom 1-6, lost to Ena Shibahara 2-6, lost to Jasmine Hosseini 1-6.
(2) Ashlyn Wang (Uni): Lost to Shibahara 0-6, Katie Luu (sub.) lost to Hosseini 1-6, Tiffany Madlambian (sub.) lost to Ringblom 0-6.
(3) Alyssa Rudin (Uni): Lost to Hosseini 0-6, lost to Ringblom 1-6, lost to Shibahara 1-6.
(1) Danielle Pham/Sarah Mae Garcia (Uni): Lost to Sara Khattab/Risa Nakagawa 3-6, lost to Tia Elpusan/Gala Strong 1-6, def. Rachel Martinez/Sarina Liu 6-0.
(2) Kyla Scott/Marissa Williams (Uni): def. Elpusan/Strong 6-2, def. Martinez/Liu 6-3, lost to Khattab/Nakagawa 4-6.
(3) Yuki Asami/Judy Kam (Uni): def. Martinez/Liu 6-2, lost to Khattab/Nakagawa 0-6, lost to Elpusan/Strong 4-6.
San Marino 11, Canyon 7
(1) Cindy Chen (Canyon): Lost to Madeleine Gandawidjaja 0-6, lost to Devon Jack 0-6, Melany Dillon (sub.) def. Tammy Lee 6-4.
(2) Amanda Zuidema (Canyon): Def. Lee 6-0, lost to Gandawidjaja 1-6, def. Jack 7-5.
(3) Helena Bui (Canyon): Lost to Jack 0-6, def. Lee 6-1, def. Gandawidjaja 6-2.
(1) Yen-Yee Lim/Danica Manalo (Canyon): Lost to Maddi Schmidt/June Lee 3-6, lost to Emma Tam/Aliki Kvitne 1-6, lost to Monique Gandawidjaja/Vivian Le 1-6.
(2) Lauren Candia/Justine Phillips (Canyon): lost to Gandawidjaja/Le 2-6, def. Schmidt/Lee 6-1, lost to Tam/Kvitne 2-6.
(3) Tyler Garant/Kellin Estrada (Canyon): lost to Tam/Kvitne 2-6, lost to Gandawidjaja/Le 1-6, def. Schmidt/Lee 6-1.