Most Viewed Stories
- Quick strikes push JSerra past Huntington Beach, into title game
- Fryer on basketball: Mater Dei victory required more help than usual
- El Toro continues amazing postseason run with win over Paramount
- Video: Can Mater Dei bring home the CIF-SS Open Division title?
- Hopkins has the golden touch at the right time for Mater Dei
All-County football: All-purpose and specialists
The Register’s All-County football team for 2015.
Vlad Dzhabiyev, San Clemente, 5-10, 185, Sr.
The thunder element of San Clemente’s vaunted backfield tandem, Dzhabiyev rushed for 1,171 yards on 119 carries – nearly 10 yards a carry – and 16 touchdowns. He also hauled in 23 passes for 206 yards and two scores. He capped his season with a 191-yard, four-touchdown performance against Buena Park in the CIF-SS semifinals, and a 116-yard showing the the Southwest Division final against La Habra. Dzhabiyev also racked up 30 tackles, two sacks and a safety while playing linebacker. He was named Sea View League MVP.
Sam Loy, Santa Margarita, 6-1 , 185, Sr.
Regarded as Orange County’s top specialist entering the season, Loy only bolstered that case with his consistently great play throughout the year. The senior booted 50 of 51 kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks, and averaged 40 yards per punt. Loy landed 15 of his 38 punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line and boomed a season long 75-yarder against St. John Bosco. He was named to the All-Trinity League first team. He is committed to Vanderbilt.
Hayden McGinnis, Tesoro, 6-0, 180, Sr.
The senior converted 54 of 57 extra points and sent 50 percent of his kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks. McGinnis nailed a game-winning 23-yard field goal in the final seconds against Upland. He had a four-field goal showing against Mission Viejo, made 10 field goals overall with the longest from 42 yards.
ALL-COUNTY FOOTBALL LINKS
- All of the All-County football stories, photos, videos
- All-County football: First team defense
- All-County football: First team offense
- All-County football: All-purpose and specialists
- Offensive player of the year: Mission Viejo's Brock Johnson
- Defensive player of the year: Mater Dei's Jed Smith
- Football coach of the year: Valencia's Mike Marrujo
Contact the writer: email@example.com