Most Viewed Stories
- Mater Dei triumph sets up showdown with Chino Hills in Open semifinals
- Boys basketball playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- All of Tuesday's boys basketball, girls soccer playoffs coverage
- Villa Park finishes strong, advances to 2AA semifinals
- Girls soccer playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
CVC gives away chance to clinch a playoff berth
LA VERNE – Capistrano Valley Christian headed into Friday night's San Joaquin League finale knowing a win would secure second place and an automatic playoff bid.
But Southlands Christian took advantage of four turnovers and bested the Eagles, 32-26, at Damien High.
Scott Brashear threw two TD passes, ran for another score and had more than 240 yards of total offense for Southlands Christian (7-3, 3-2).
Daniel Herber scored three of Capistrano Valley Christian's four touchdowns. Two were on runs of 25 and 4 yards. Herber also caught a 10-yard TD pass from Dawson Piper. In all, Herber had eight receptions for 110 yards and gained 88 yards on 11 carries.
Sten Kajitani was the defensive hero with two sacks of Brashear and two fumble recoveries.
Kajitani's second fumble recovery on Southlands Christian’s 25-yard line set up a potential game-winning drive with less than four minutes to play. But the Eagles (4-5, 3-2) were stopped on downs and now their postseason chances are unknown.
KCI Thompson finished with 54 yards on 14 carries, including a 1-yard touchdown run.