Fryer: Foothill charges into 'Gauntlet Week'
While Marina was winning the Ryan Lemmon Invitational and JSerra was winning the South bracket of the Boras Classic, Foothill was doing plenty of winning of its own 200 miles to the north.
The Knights won the Righetti Tournament in Santa Maria last week. They beat Calabasas, 3-0, in the semifinals Saturday and later that day beat Thousand Oaks, 4-2, in the championship game.
The tournament did not select a tournament MVP. That was fine with Foothill coach Vince Brown. On Monday, two days after the Righetti tourney ended, Brown still could not single out a player whom he would have nominated for the honor.
“So many guys came through for us all week,” Brown said. “We saw that our pitching can go pretty deep and a lot of kids stepped up when we asked them to step up.”
Senior shortstop Dylan Doherty leads Foothill (15-5) in hits (23) and RBI (11). Senior left-handed pitcher Sebastian Lopez is 7-0 with a 1.33 ERA.
This week is what Brown called “Gauntlet Week” for Foothill. The Knights play Canyon today at Angel Stadium, at El Dorado on Wednesday and at home against Esperanza on Friday. Those are not league games for North Hills League member Foothill, but they are cross-conference games in the eight-team Century Conference that divides teams into its Crestview and North Hills leagues. Cross-conference results can be used to settle ties in the standings.
Around the horn in Orange County baseball:
• The Angels and Angel Stadium have made the stadium available for many high school baseball games last season and this season. Teams are requited to sell 700 vouchers that are good for Angels tickets to be able to use the stadium for a regular-season game. Laguna Beach plays El Modena at the stadium today at 3:30 p.m., with Foothill-Canyon at 7 p.m.
• Also this week as league play resumes all over county baseball: Edison at Huntington Beach (Sunset League), Aliso Niguel at El Toro (South Coast), JSerra at Mater Dei (Trinity) and Cypress at Pacifica (Empire) are on Wednesday; El Toro plays at Aliso Niguel (South Coast) on Thursday; Friday’s schedule includes Huntington Beach at Edison, Trabuco Hills at San Clemente (Sea View), Pacifica at Cypress, Tesoro at Dana Hills (South Coast) and Ocean View at Orange (Golden West).
• Marina’s Steven Gingery was MVP of the Lemmon Invitational. The senior left-handed pitcher and outfielder was 8 for 14 batting in the tournament and pitched seven innings with one earned run allowed in the 3-2, 11-inning win over Long Beach Millikan in the tournament championship game. He committed to Texas Tech.
• Cypress finished third and Orange Lutheran fifth in the National Classic. Both went 3-1 in the tournament. Cypress beat state No. 20 Monte Vista of Danville in the tournament.
• Agoura won the National Classic with an 8-3 win over IMG Academy of Florida in the championship game Thursday at Cal State Fullerton.
• Crean Lutheran and Sage Hill are 4-0 in the Academy League going into this week. They don’t play each other until April 28.
• Four county teams are No. 1 in their divisions in this week’s CIF-Southern Section rankings: JSerra, in Division 1; San Clemente, Division 2, Sonora, Division 4; and Crean Lutheran, Division 6. In Division 1, Dana Hills is No. 2, Edison is No. 3 and Orange Lutheran is No. 5.
• CAPrepZone.com’s online broadcast schedule includes Orange Lutheran vs. Servite on Wednesday and Friday, Dana Hills at Tesoro on Wednesday and Edison vs. Huntington Beach on Wednesday and Friday.
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org