Most Viewed Stories
Girls soccer O.C. Top 10 (1-9-12)
It took only one week of league play for the county rankings to undergo a major change, as several teams moved up on the heels of strong performances.
With the entire county now entering league play and several big games on this week’s schedule, here is a look at this week’s OC top 10 soccer rankings.
1. Aliso Niguel (11-0-3, 1-1): The Wolverines opened the South Coast League with a 2-1 win over Trabuco Hills before battling Mission Viejo to a 1-1 tie. They closed the week by defeating Sunny Hills 1-0 to snap the Lancers 17match season-opening winning streak. Aliso Niguel will be on the road at El Toro on Thursday in its only match of the week.
2. Corona del Mar (13-1-1, 2-0): The Sea Kings defeated Irvine 2-1 and Northwood 4-0 to extend their winning streak to nine in a row. Corona del Mar will be on the road twice this week, squaring off against Woodbridge on Tuesday and University on Thursday.
3. San Clemente (10-2-4, 1-0): The Tritons opened the South Coast League with a 4-2 home victory over El Toro in their only action of the week. San Clemente will be on the road Tuesday against Trabuco Hills before hosting Mission Viejo on Thursday.
4. Canyon (8-3-3, 1-1): The Comanches opened the week with a 3-0 win over El Dorado, before suffering a 1-0 defeat at Brea Olinda. Canyon will be at Foothill on Monday and will host Esperanza on Friday.
5. Mission Viejo (7-4-3, 0-0-1): The Diablos tied No. 1 Aliso Niguel 1-1 in their only match of the week. Mission Viejo will host El Toro on Tuesday before a road match against No. 3 San Clemente on Thursday.
6. Foothill (6-1-6, 2-0): The Knights make a big leap into the rankings after a successful opening week in the Century League. They defeated Esperanza 1-0 to end the Aztecs home winning streak against league opponents at 15. They then closed the week with a 3-0 win over El Modena. Foothill will take on Canyon on Monday and Villa Park on Wednesday.
7. Mater Dei (6-4-4, 2-0): The Monarchs leap back into the rankings after strong road wins over Santa Margarita 2-1 and Rosary 1-0.Mater Dei will play host to Orange Lutheran on Tuesday.
8. Santa Margarita (7-5-2, 1-1): The Eagles dropped their league opener to Mater Dei 2-1 before knocking off Orange Lutheran 1-0. They will host JSerra on Tuesday in their only match of the week.
9. Orange Lutheran (11-5, 0-1): In their only match of last week, the Lancers dropped a hard fought match to Santa Margarita 1-0. They will be on the road twice this week, taking on Mater Dei on Tuesday and JSerra on Thursday.
10. Sunny Hills (17-1, 1-0): The Lancers grab the final spot in the rankings after splitting two matches last week. They defeated La Habra 1-0 to open the Freeway League before a close 1-0 loss on the road against No. 1 Aliso Niguel in a nonleague match. Sunny Hills will play at Buena Park on Tuesday before hosting Sonora on Thursday.
11-20. Edison (9-5-1,0-1) Los Alamitos (6-4-4, 1-0), Villa Park (11-2-3, 2-0), Esperanza (8-5-4, 1-2), Dana Hills (9-4, 2-0), Capistrano Valley (8-3-4, 2-0), Rosary (7-2-4 (0-1-1), Brea Olinda (5-4-4, 2-0), Trabuco Hills (6-5-4, 0-1-1), Tesoro (6-6-2, 0-2)