Five predictions for the East Valley football playoffs
Five predictions for the East Valley Division playoffs:
1. Which four teams will make it to the East Valley semifinals?
Grace Brethren, Brethren Christian, Calvary Murrieta, St. Margaret's.
2. Which team will win the East Valley title? Grace Brethren.
It's hard to pitch one shutout. But eight? That's almost unheard of. The Lancers defense gets after it, and in running back Zikel Reddick, Grace Brethren has one of the division's top playmakers.
3. Which team will be the "surprise team" in the East Valley bracket? St. Margaret's
Again, "surprise" is a reach because the Tartans are the defending champs and have a ton of talent on their roster. As an at-large team, the road to get back to the finals is going to be much more difficult. The Tartans will likely see No. 2 Saddleback Valley Christian in the second round, but that would be a home game for Stephen Barbee's squad. If they can edge out the Warriors, I think St. Margaret's heads back to the finals.
4. Which player will be the postseason MVP in the East Valley? Zikel Reddick, Grace Brethren.
The focal point of the Lancers offense is averaging 11.1 yards per carry.
5. Which O.C. team shouldn't be overlooked in the East Valley playoffs? Brethren Christian.
Jordan Leonard is putting up some special numbers, already eclipsing the 2,200-yard mark. If Brethren Christian makes a run, the junior running back could potentially go for more than 3,000 yards this season. Crazy to think that's not out of the question.