Most Viewed Stories
- Mater Dei triumph sets up showdown with Chino Hills in Open semifinals
- All of Tuesday's boys basketball, girls soccer playoffs coverage
- Boys basketball playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- Girls soccer playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- Villa Park finishes strong, advances to 2AA semifinals
Fryer on basketball: Mosham putting up big numbers
Elijah Mosham is consistent.
He averaged 20 points and 16 rebounds a game last season as a junior at El Dorado.
Mosham, now a 6-foot-9 senior, is averaging 20 points and 16 rebounds a game this season.
He is capable of more points and rebounds. Last week, in El Dorado’s 76-68 nonleague win over Sultana of Hesperia, Mosham scored 35 points with 27 rebounds. He scored 17 points with 22 rebounds and 10 blocked shots in a 69-26 over Irvine in the Godinez Invitational two weeks ago.
With more games like that, Mosham’s senior year statistics could surpass his junior year statistics. And there would be nothing wrong with that sort of inconsistency.
Jump stops around Orange County boys basketball:
• The North County Championships is a 22-team tournament that began Monday and concludes with the championship game Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Sonora High. Also in the tournament are Canyon, Capistrano Valley, JSerra, Saddleback Valley Christian and Sonora.
• The Gary Raya/Irvine World News tournament begins today and concludes with the championship game Saturday at 6:15 p.m. at Northwood High. Among the teams in it are Edison, El Dorado, El Toro, Esperanza, San Clemente and Tesoro.
• The Charlie Wilkins Memorial Tournament at Westminster High starts today and concludes with the championship game Saturday at 6 p.m. Corona del Mar, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach and Yorba Linda are in that one.
• Santa Margarita’s Christmas Classic tournament begins Thursday. It continues through Monday.
• The Orange County North/South Challenge, a 13-game showcase exclusively of county teams, is Dec. 21 and 22 at El Toro. Among the matchups are San Clemente vs. Valencia and Aliso Niguel vs. Woodbridge on Dec. 21, and Tesoro vs. Edison and Orange Lutheran vs. Los Alamitos on Dec. 22.
• JSerra junior Sebastian Much averages 23 points a game. Much, who was at Archbishop Mitty of San Jose last season after spending his freshman year at St. Margaret’s, scored 33 points, 22 in the second half, in JSerra’s 71-70 win over San Clemente last week.
• Two Sunset League teams are off to 8-1 starts: Fountain Valley and Marina. Fountain Valley’s best wins are over Cypress and Laguna Beach. Marina’s list of wins includes one over Garden Grove.
• Charlie Stassel of Newport Harbor was MVP of the Douglas Uselton tournament last week at Oxford Academy. Newport Harbor, which is 7-2, beat Whittier Christian, 59-57, in the tournament championship game. The Sailors were 19 for 24 at the free-throw line in that game.
• Cypress finished third in the Uselton tournament. The Centurions’ Brad Belshe was selected to the all-tournament team.
• Ex-NBA star Dennis Rodman’s freshman son is on the Corona del Mar varsity basketball team. DJ Rodman, a 6-3 guard who was quarterback on the school’s freshman football team, is playing “significant minutes,” Sea Kings coach Ryan Schachter said. “He’s still having some nerves,” Schachter said, “but that’s because he’s a freshman. He’s a very good shooter.”
• Mater Dei’s MJ Cage received two MVP trophies at the Beach Bash tournament at Corona del Mar. He was this season’s tournament MVP, so he got that one. Cage was the tournament’s MVP last year, too, but tournament organizers neglected to hand him the trophy so they did so Friday during the semifinals.
• Beach Bash all-tournament selections included Spencer Freedman and Justice Sueing of Mater Dei, Corona del Mar’s Matt Cvtrtlik and Sam Kobrine, Edison’s Nate Matthews and Randall Walker, Edison, University’s Justin Wu, Tustin’s Hasani Shabazz, Trabuco Hills’ Camren Panganiban and Troy’s Semir Shafi.
• Mater Dei has played without senior point guard Bailey Stout, who has been out with a pulled hamstring. Monarchs coach Gary McKnight said he hoped Stout can play in this week’s North County Championships and is certain Stout will be playing in the post-Christmas Beach Ball Classic in South Carolina. Montverde Academy of Florida, No. 1 in USA Today’s national rankings, is in the Beach Ball.
• Mater Dei is No. 2, behind Chino Hills, in the CIF-Southern Section Division 1AA rankings. Chino Hills also is No. 1 in the CalHiSports.com state preseason top 25 that has Mater Dei at No. 3. Orange Lutheran is No. 18 in the state poll.
• County teams ranked No. 1 in their CIF-SS divisions: Foothill, in Division 1A; and Orange Lutheran, 4AA. Some CIF-SS teams will be selected to play in the Open Division; Open Division “watch list,” a collection of top Open Division candidates, will be released on a weekly basis starting Jan. 11.
• Yorba Linda 6-4 senior guard Isaac Douglass, a standout scorer since his sophomore year, is averaging 17 points and eight rebounds a game.
• Tickets for the Nike Extravaganza, Feb. 5 and 6 a Mater Dei, are on sale at the school’s Meruelo Athletic Center on weekdays. Visit materdei.org for details.
Contact the writer: email@example.com