Most Viewed Stories
Fryer: El Modena has rising star in Conine
Around the horn in Orange County baseball:
• El Modena has produced some excellent baseball players, including Atlanta Braves all-star Freddie Freeman. The latest could be Brett Conine, a senior pitcher/first baseman who signed with Cal State Fullerton. Last week, as the Vanguards won two Crestview League games against Canyon, Conine was 4 for 7 with a double and two runs scored and pitched a complete game in which he allowed no earned runs and no walks with seven strikeouts.
• El Modena is in the Ryan Lemmon Invitational (ryanlemmonbaseball.com), a tournament that began Saturday and concludes with the championship game Thursday at 6:15 p.m. at Ryan Lemmon Stadium at Windrow Park in Irvine. Most tournament games are at Windrow.
• The Southern California portion of the Boras Classic (borasclassic.com) begins today. JSerra and Mater Dei are host schools for the 16-team Southern California bracket that includes state-ranked JSerra, San Clemente, Alemany of Mission Hills and Granite Hills of El Cajon. The bracket final is Friday at 6 p.m. at JSerra.
• St. Francis of Mountain View won the Northern California bracket of the Boras Classic. The Southern bracket winner plays St. Francis in the tournament championship game at Cal State Fullerton on May 2 at noon.
• The National Classic (national-classic.com) began Monday. Among the county teams in it are Cypress, Orange Lutheran, Santa Margarita and host schools El Dorado and Esperanza. The championship game is at Cal State Fullerton on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
• The 16-team Santa Ana Elks Tournament began Saturday. Its championship game is Wednesday at 3 p.m. at Century.
• El Dorado pitcher Nick Sprengel struck out nine over five innings in the Golden Hawks’ 3-1 win over Esperanza on Thursday.
• After delivering the winning hit for El Dorado in a 12-inning, 3-2 win over Esperanza, Rob Diaz gave an immediate answer when asked about the last time he had played in such a long game “Last year, 14 innings against Foothill,” he said. “They won it on a walk-off hit, 2-1.”
• San Dimas beat Bonita of La Verne, 5-0, in the Anaheim Lions Tournament championship game.
• Anaheim, Katella and Savanna are tied for first place in the Orange League with 3-1 league records. Savanna plays Anaheim on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Dee Fee Field, the baseball portion of the Glover Stadium complex at La Palma Park in Anaheim.
• Five Coast View Conference teams are in the county top 10: Aliso Niguel, Dana Hills and El Toro from the South Coast League; and Mission Viejo and San Clemente from the Sea View League.
• CIF-Southern Section polling is on hiatus until next week.
• The California top 20 released last week had San Clemente at No. 1 and Edison at No. 5. With both teams having lost since that release, expect changes when CalHiSports.com releases its state top 20 Wednesday. Other county teams in last week’s top 20 were JSerra at No. 2 and Dana Hills at No. 8.
• Dana Hills’ tie game with La Sierra of Riverside in the Anaheim Lions Tournament was changed to a forfeit win for Dana Hills. So the Dolphins went 5-0 in the tournament. Dana Hills was 16-2 going into this week.
• Trabuco Hills went 4-1 in the Anaheim Lions Tournament. The Mustangs lost to Paramount, 8-7, in their first tournament game. They went 4-0 in the tournament after that, winning those four games by a combined score of 26-5.
• Matt Torretto and Jack Cornish teamed up to pitch a no-hitter for Trabuco in an 11-2 win over Valencia in a Lemmon tournament game Saturday. Cooper Uhl had three RBI in the game.
• Tesoro went 5-0 in the Lions tourney in which the Titans outscored the opposition 43-10.
• CASportsZone.com’s online radio broadcasts this weeks include several games from the Boras Classic and the National Classic and Dana Hills vs. Capistrano Valley today and Dana Hills vs. El Toro on Thursday.
• Woodbridge junior shortstop Aharon Modlin was 19 for 38 this season going into the Lemmon tournament. In Pacific Coast League play, Modlin is 10 for 14 with six RBIs and three doubles.
• El Toro’s Kaleb Fossum pitched a no-hitter in the Chargers’ 10-0 win over Palm Springs last week. Fossum was an All-County first-team receiver in football.
• Going into this week, Corona del Mar junior right-handed pitcher Evan Larsen was 5-1 with four shutouts and no earned runs allowed in 37 innings. He had 32 strikeouts and allowed only 15 hits and seven walks.
Contact the writer: email@example.com