Most Viewed Stories
- Irvine girls water polo, swimming coach Scott Hinman dies
- Irvine's Scott Hinman, a trailblazer and leader in county swimming, dies after collapsing
- Ex-Irvine star Courtney Kuehl writes tribute to Coach Scott Hinman
- Crouse leads way as Dana Hills wins NHSI opener
- San Clemente holds off Valencia to win Anaheim Lions Tournament
OCVarsity Kickoff '16: Valencia preview
OCVarsity’s season preview for 2016:
Coach: Shawn Racobs
Last season: 11-1 overall, 5-0 league
Scouting report: The new era of the Valencia program is underway, as Shawn Racobs replaces longtime coach Mike Marrujo, who retired after 35 years. Racobs was the team’s defensive coordinator under Marrujo. The Tigers have six starters returning on offense and five on defense, with a solid core of all-league players back. On offense, the Tigers have two players in the mix to be the starting quarterback, Eric Terrones and Zach Charles. At running back, the Tigers will have Jahquon Speed (907 rushing yards, eight touchdowns). Speed earned first team all-league honors last season. The Tigers will need to develop some wide receiver threats. First-team all-league linebacker Ronnie Velasquez leads the defense.
Bottom line: The Tigers might have a different look on the field, but they should figure things out and contend for the league title.
Players to watch: Jahquon Speed, RB, Sr.; Tyler Glosser, OT, Sr.; Adrian Diaz, OG, Jr.; Ronnie Velasquez, MLB, Sr.; Jake Moran, DT, Sr.
- Empire League preview
- Cypress preview
- Kennedy preview
- Pacifica preview
- Tustin preview
- Western preview
- Valencia preview
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org