Most Viewed Stories
Girls track preview: O.C. top 10 teams
A breakdown of the top 10 teams in Orange County for the 2015 girls track and field season.
O.C. TOP 10
1. Los Alamitos: The Griffins are loaded on the girls side. Consider Los Alamitos the favorite to win a third straight Sunset League title.
2. Canyon: Led by Orange County triple jump champion Alexis Turley-Young, the Comanches will be a force in the field. Canyon’s performance in the distance events will decide how far the team can go.
3. Santa Margarita: The Eagles have Stanford-bound Kaitlyn Merritt, who has no equal in the pole vault. Santa Margarita has a strong hurdles lineup.
4. Mater Dei: The Monarchs are a perennial invitational powerhouse. Mater Dei’s girls will be going for their fifth straight title at the Orange County Championships.
5. Mission Viejo: CIF sprints champion Kennedy Gillian heads a very deep team that will be among the county’s best. The Diablos return nine CIF qualifiers from last season.
6. Dana Hills: The top of the Dolphins lineup is going to be around for a while. Junior Sienna Serrao and sophomore Kathryn Kaloroumakis give Dana Hills a power couple in the distance events.
7. Fountain Valley: Crystal Eckman and Annelise Doerr hope to sprint by the competition in the Sunset League. The Barons also sport a deep and talented jumps team.
8T. Trabuco Hills: The Mustangs are a good team in a stacked South Coast League. Their strength lies on the track, where Sabrina Herrmann placed 10th in the 3200 meters at the CIF-SS Masters Meet last year.
8T. Tesoro: All-County distance runners Amanda Gehrich and Briar Brumley spearhead the Titans, who hope to win the Sea View League despite having a very young team. With cross country CIF-State runner-up Capistrano Valley also in the league, the distance events could be fun to watch.
10. San Clemente: Senior Kelsey Carroll’s distance prowess will anchor a young Tritons team. With only six seniors, San Clemente can still be a formidable force in the Sea View League.