Girls soccer preview: Top players to watch
OCVarsity’s list of the top 5 players to watch in girls soccer for the 2015-16 season:
1. Abby Greubel, Foothill: One of the most sought after sophomore recruits in the nation, Greubel figures to pick up where she left off as a freshman. The Crestview League MVP and All-CIF selection scored 18 goals and dished out 24 assists in her first varsity campaign for the Knights.
2. Taylor Rasmussen, Canyon: Hard-nosed and clutch. The senior has been one of the area’s most reliable and staunch defenders while leading the Comanches’ back line. Rasmussen is also one of the premier free kick specialists, serving up nine assists last season, seven of which resulted in winning goals.
3. Danielle Solaru, Northwood: Aspirations are high at Northwood in large part because of its veteran striker. Solaru was Pacific Coast League MVP last season and was a CIF first-team selection after netting 18 goals and tallying 11 assists. Eleven of those goals and seven of those assists came in the Timberwolves’ final 10 matches, otherwise known as crunch time.
4. Olivia Ware, Mater Dei: The county’s reigning player of the year finished top-five in the county for goals (17) and assists (15) a season ago. She played a role in at least one scoring play in each of the six postseason matches she played in before going down with injury. After leading Mater Dei to its first CIF title since 2007, Ware was named CIF Division 1 player of the year.
5. Darcy Weiser, Huntington Beach: The senior midfielder was at the heart of the Oilers’ 2014-15 season in which the school captured its first Sunset League title. The reigning league MVP proved to be a versatile playmaker, consistently setting up teammates for scoring opportunities on free kicks or corners or with long throw-ins.
2015-16 girls soccer preview:
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org