Most Viewed Stories
- Quick strikes push JSerra past Huntington Beach, into title game
- Fryer on basketball: Mater Dei victory required more help than usual
- El Toro continues amazing postseason run with win over Paramount
- Video: Can Mater Dei bring home the CIF-SS Open Division title?
- Hopkins has the golden touch at the right time for Mater Dei
Savanna blows away another playoff opponent
Junior right-hander Shyanne Fennell tossed a three-hit shutout, Kristin Worley went 4 for 4 at the dish, and Marisa Meza powered two home runs as second-seeded Savanna throttled Windward of Los Angeles, 13-0, on Wednesday afternoon in a CIF-SS Division 6 quarterfinal game at Windward High.
The Rebels (29-2-1) advanced to their third consecutive semifinal appearance, and did so by topping its third straight opponent by double-digit runs. Savanna has outscored its postseason opponents, 42-1.
After tossing a perfect game against Flintridge Prep on Tuesday, Fennel returned to the circle on Wednesday and struck out six. Meza hit a pair of home runs for the second consecutive day and finished with five RBI, while Worley was again perfect at the dish. Savanna’s senior shortstop scored four runs against the Wildcats and swiped three bags.
Maricela Egan and Sierra Fennell also finished with multiple base hits for the Rebels, who used a nine-run third inning to blow open a 1-0 ballgame.
Savanna will play the winner of the St. Anthony-Sierra Canyon quarterfinal on Tuesday afternoon.