Basketball playoffs: Fryer's updates and analysis
When we got the CIF-Southern Section playoff brackets on Sunday, we looked not only for the better first-round matchups but also for any excellent second-round games that could be coming.
We have a couple of those excellent second-round games.
Ocean View plays at Servite in a Division 3A second-round game Friday. Esperanza is at Buena Park in a 3AA second-round game Friday.
Other observations from Wednesday’s first round:
• Villa Park had its best team in a few years but still lost to Summit of Fontana in Division 1A. That was an away game for Villa Park. Sometimes, high school teams don’t play to potential after a long bus ride.
• This 1AA score – Rancho Cucamonga 71, Anaheim 18 – is part of the plentiful supply of proof that the competitive equity playoffs system can’t come soon enough. Anaheim was placed in 1AA because of its large enrollment. In the competitive equity format, Anaheim will be no higher than 4AA next boys basketball season.
• Several teams have to travel to the Inland Empire on Friday. The eastbound side of the 91 freeway, normally horrible when travelling into the I.E. on a Friday evening, will be closed around the Corona area on Friday beginning at 9 p.m.
• Even some O.C. teams that don’t have to go to the I.E. have long trips. Laguna Beach goes to Atascadero for a 4AA second-round game Friday.
• Saddleback Valley Christian breezed to a 105-49 win over Santa Rosa Academy in a 5AA first-round game. The Warriors were the only county team to score in triple figures.