Fryer on basketball: Regionals are a time for rematches
Two rematches are assured. More could be on the way in the CIF Southern California Regionals.
Orange Lutheran plays host to Army-Navy of Carlsbad in a Regionals Division 2 first-round game Wednesday. Orange Lutheran beat Army-Navy of Carlsbad, 67-61, in the Fairfax State Preview on Jan. 30 at Cerritos College. For at least the Army-Navy vs. Orange Lutheran game, the Fairfax State Preview lived up to its name.
Mater Dei plays host to Foothills Christian in a regionals Open Division first-round game Friday. Mater Dei beat Foothills Christian of El Cajon and its UCLA signee T.J. Leaf last month in the Nike Extravaganza, 61-53.
If Mater Dei wins, its likely second-round opponent on March 15 would be Chino Hills. Mater Dei lost to Chino Hills, 102-54, in the CIF-Southern Section Open Division semifinals Feb. 26.
If Los Alamitos and Santa Margarita win their regionals Division II first-round games Wednesday, they would meet in the second round Saturday at Los Alamitos. Los Alamitos beat Santa Margarita, 69-65, in last season’s CIF-SS Division 1AA quarterfinals.
Throughtout the CIF Southern California Regionals, the higher-seeded team is the home team. If Los Alamitos and Santa Margarita play in the second round, Los Alamitos, seeded third, would be home against No. 6-seeded Santa Margarita.
Jump stops around Orange County basketball:
• It will be a long stretch between games for Los Alamitos, Orange Lutheran and Santa Margarita. Those three were eliminated in the CIF-SS Open Division playoffs on Feb. 23. They play in Regionals first-round games Wednesday, a 15-day gap between games.
• To lessen the impact of that gap, the CIF-SS office allowed Open Division teams eliminated early to play a scrimmage against another Open Division team between Feb. 29 and March 4. Los Alamitos coach Eddie Courtemarche, for one, did not pursue a scrimmage because of the potential for a player’s injury in a scrimmage.
• Seven Orange County teams are in the CIF Southern California Regionals. Mater Dei is in the Open Division. Los Alamitos, Orange Lutheran and Santa Margarita are in Division II. Edison is in Division III, and Capistrano Valley Christian and Saddleback Valley Christian are in Division V.
• Regionals first-round games are Wednesday in Divisions I-V. The regionals Open Division first round is Friday.
• Wednesday’s games involving Orange County teams (all at 7 p.m. except as noted): Poway (24-8) at Los Alamitos (23-6), Army-Navy (21-10) at Orange Lutheran (21-8) (7:30 p.m.) and Mission Bay of San Diego (21-8) at Santa Margarita (17-11) in Division II; Kearny of San Diego (16-12) at Edison (24-8), Division III; and Bonita Vista of Chula Vista (20-12) at Capistrano Valley Christian (23-8) and Mission Vista of Oceanside (16-12) at Saddleback Valley Christian (19-12) in Division V.
• Mater Dei (27-4) plays host to Foothills Christian (24-4) in an Open Division first-round game on Friday at 7 p.m.
• It is a regionals doubleheader at Orange Lutheran on Wednesday. The Lancers girls team plays Westchester at 6 p.m. Their boys play Army-Navy at 7:30 p.m.
• Mission Bay, Santa Margarita’s regionals first-round opponent, is led by Tulane signee Justin Moore, a 6-foot-5 guard averaging 17 points and seven rebounds a game.
• Admission to early-round games of the regionals is $9 for adults and $5 for students with valid student identification and for children 12 and younger. For doubleheaders, like the one at Orange Lutheran on Wednesday, adult admission is $10 and student/child admission is $6. Children under 3 are admitted free to single games and to doubleheaders.
• Regionals dates for divisions I-V: Wednesday (first round); Saturday (second round), March 15 (semifinals) and March 19 (finals at the Pyramid at Long Beach State and at Colony High of Ontario).
• Mater Dei has been No. 1 in the final O.C. top 10 every season since the 1989-89 season. That season, Saddleback was No. 1 in the final county poll. The Roadrunners were CIF-SS Division 5AA runnersups, to Long Beach Millikan, that season when 5AA was the label for the top division.
• If the county boys basketball ranking was a top 25, here is how this voter would rank teams 11-25: 11. Ocean View (25-5); 12. Buena Park (23-8); 13. Villa Park (16-12); 14. Capistrano Valley Christian (23-8); 15. Saddleback Valley Christian (19-12); 16. Northwood (23-6); 17. Servite (15-15); 18. San Clemente (21-7); 19. Corona del Mar (20-9); 20. Tesoro (16-12); 21. El Toro (21-8); 22. Newport Harbor (21-8); 23. Laguna Beach (23-7); 24. Capistrano Valley (20-10); 25. Sonora (20-10).
• The Register's All-Orange County team will be posted at ocvarsity.com on April 1 and in the Register's print edition on April 2. County player and coach of the year will be included.