The Orange football team will "probably" forfeit its dramatic, 31-29, victory last week against Santa Ana because it allowed an ineligible freshman to play in the contest, Panthers boys athletic director Mitch Ryan said Tuesday night.
Ryan said Orange self-reported to CIF-Southern Section earlier this week that it broke the rules when it a freshman played in the freshman and varsity games on the same day -- Oct. 6 -- against Santa Ana.
The Panthers, Ryan said, haven't heard a final outcome from the Southern Section but believe they will "probably end up forfeiting" the victory from their Golden West League opener. The victory improved Orange to 6-0 overall, the school's best start since 1966.
"Rules are rules and we need to follow them," Ryan said. "Our mistake."
Ryan said Orange believes the freshman was limited to three kickoff coverage plays in the varsity game, decided after a late interception linebacker Luis Correa.
Orange plays Segerstrom (6-0) at El Modena on Friday.
Please send football news to Dan Albano at email@example.com or @ocvarsityguy on Twitter