Trinity gets jump on league prelims
Orange County’s high school swim season is getting an early jump on its league championship meets.
The Division 1 Trinity League, featuring Santa Margarita’s No. 2-ranked girls and JSerra’s No. 7 girls, will hold its league prelims Saturday at Santa Margarita at noon.
The Trinity finals are scheduled for May 4 at 3 p.m.
The rest of the county will begin prelims next week, the traditional start for league meets. For a schedule, visit ocvarsity.com.
Here’s a few storylines to watch:
* Mater Dei’s No. 5 boys are seeking an outright Trinity League title after controversy washed away their chance for a crown two seasons ago. Before the 2010 league finals, Mater Dei forfeited five league victories because it raced with two ineligible swimmers. The losses left the Monarchs unable to claim the league title.
* The Division 1 Pacific Coast League could feature one of the best boys races. Defending league champion Corona del Mar, University and Northwood – all ranked in the top-five in the county – finished tied for first in the dual-meet season with 4-1 records.
The Pacific Coast girls prelims will be Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Corona del Mar. The boys prelims follow Wednesday at 2 p.m. Finals are Friday at Corona del Mar at 2 p.m.
* In the Division 1 Sea View League, Tesoro’s boys and girls are seeking the first league titles in their history. The Sea View is racing its prelims and finals at El Toro.
* In the Division 1 South Coast League, Capistrano Valley’s host boys and girls are aiming to defend their titles. The Cougars’ girls could be challenged by Aliso Niguel.
* The Division 1 Sunset League also could see an intriguing girls race between No. 3 Edison and No. 5 Los Alamitos. The Sunset meet will be held at Newport Harbor.