Most Viewed Stories
- Mater Dei triumph sets up showdown with Chino Hills in Open semifinals
- All of Tuesday's boys basketball, girls soccer playoffs coverage
- Boys basketball playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- Girls soccer playoffs: Tuesday's scores, updated schedule
- Villa Park finishes strong, advances to 2AA semifinals
Girls volleyball: Mater Dei survives challenge from Redondo Union in nonleague match
Mater Dei and Redondo Union girls volleyball team crossed paths again, this time in a nonleague match, Wednesday night.
The top-ranked Monarchs lost two of the first three sets, but would eventually come away with the victory, winning the last two sets.
The scores of the match were 21-25, 25-18, 23-25, 25-19, 15-10.
Shannon Scully led the Monarchs with 23 kills. Mia Tuaniga and Natalie Berty had 12 and 11, respectively.
The teams met in last year's CIF-SS Division 1AA final, with the Monarchs winning in four sets. Kelsey Campeau had 18 digs for the Monarchs, Mandalay Rennon had 13 with four aces. Brielle Mullaly had 30 assists and 10 kills. Tuaniga also had 15 assists and nine digs.
Redondo Union is ranked ninth in this week's CIF-SS Division 1 poll.