Most Viewed Stories
- Irvine girls water polo, swimming coach Scott Hinman dies
- Irvine's Scott Hinman, a trailblazer and leader in county swimming, dies after collapsing
- Three proposals to reshape O.C. leagues make it to final voting stage
- San Clemente holds off Valencia to win Anaheim Lions Tournament
- Crouse leads way as Dana Hills wins NHSI opener
Irvine finishes strong, earns first win of the season
COSTA MESA - Visiting Irvine fought back in the second half and scored 14 consecutive points to defeat Estancia, 21-17, in a nonleague game Friday night.
Estancia took the lead on the second play of the night when senior quarterback Eric Carrasco connected with wideout Dion Kerkhoff for a 21-yard touchdown strike.
Shortly after that, Carrasco tossed a 12-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tyler Ross, giving the Eagles (1-2) a 14-0 advantage.
Irvine (1-1-1), which trailed 17-7 at halftime, got two rushing touchdowns from Brent Miller scored in the second half, giving the Vaqueros their first lead of the night.
On its last drive, Estancia (1-2) faced a fourth-and-10 situation on the Irvine 19-yard line. Carrasco misfired with a pass over the middle of the field, and it was picked off by Irvine's Zeke Alleman.
Irvine (1-1-1) forced three Estancia turnovers and held the Eagles scoreless in the second half.