Most Viewed Stories
- Quick strikes push JSerra past Huntington Beach, into title game
- El Toro continues amazing postseason run with win over Paramount
- Fryer on basketball: Mater Dei victory required more help than usual
- Hopkins has the golden touch at the right time for Mater Dei
- El Dorado rides second-half onslaught into the Division 3 final
OCVarsity Kickoff '16: Sage Hill preview
OCVarsity’s season preview for 2016:
SAGE HILL LIGHTNING
Coach: BJ Crabtree
Last season: 2-8 overall, 0-3 league (11-man)
Scouting report: Change has been the only constant at Sage Hill over the last few seasons with the biggest change coming this offseason in the shift from 11-man to eight-man football. BJ Crabtree, the Lightning’s fourth coach in the last three seasons, has been tapped to lead the transition into this new era. The transition created some hurt feelings in the Sage Hill community and turned away some returners. Crabtree has embraced his young group, tried to rebuild the game from the bottom up and “prove that it’s still football.” Leadership comes from junior quarterback William Leong and senior wide receiver and cornerback Miles McCord. Leong was strong in 7-on-7 summer work and has a strong attention to detail. McCord is a tremendous athlete with sights set on the college level. Sage Hill will also have strength up front with an older group of linemen.
Bottom line: Crabtree has challenged his team to “attack the moment” with plenty to prove as Sage Hill looks to establish consistency and a base for the program to rebuild on.
Players to watch: Miles McCord, WR/CB, Sr.; William Leong, QB, Jr.; Elijah Soto, C/DT, Sr.; Carlos Orozco, DT, Sr.; Ian Morgan, G, Jr.
LINKS TO SMALL SCHOOLES PREVIEWS
- Freelance: Brethren Christian preview
- Freelance: St. Margaret's preview
- Freelance: Crean Lutheran preview
- San Joaquin League: Capistrano Valley Christian preview
- San Joaquin League: Fairmont Prep preview
- San Joaquin League: Saddleback Valley Christian preview
- 8-man: Sage Hill preview
- 8-man: St. Michael's Prep preview (no information available)