Most Viewed Stories
- Irvine girls water polo, swimming coach Scott Hinman dies
- Irvine's Scott Hinman, a trailblazer and leader in county swimming, dies after collapsing
- San Clemente holds off Valencia to win Anaheim Lions Tournament
- Crouse leads way as Dana Hills wins NHSI opener
- Ex-Irvine star Courtney Kuehl writes tribute to Coach Scott Hinman
La Quinta breaks loose for first win
GARDEN GROVE – Prior to Friday night’s nonleague matchup, the La Quinta Aztecs and the Bosco Tech Tigers were both in search of their first win of the season.
The Aztecs were also looking for their first points. They ended up scoring plenty to beat Bosco Tech, 54-33, at Bolsa Grande High.
La Quinta would do most of its damage in the first half, scoring on six of seven possessions to lead, 41-7.
It started with a 10-yard keeper from senior quarterback, Gilbert Napoles, only three minutes into the game. Junior running back Dylan Do would then score his first of two touchdowns on the night on a 3-yard run. Do scored his second touchdown late in the fourth quarter to finish with 52 yards on eight carries.
Napoles threw for two touchdowns, including a 75-yad pass to Derek Le, as well.
Junior running back Tam Le rushed for 110 yards and a touchdown on only 11 carries. He didn’t return in the second half, in part because of injuries he had coming into the game.
The Aztecs also threw the ball efficiently. Napoles completed 6 of 8 passes for 164 yards and two TDs. Stephen Jaffke caught the first TD on a 25-yard lob from Napoles. He finished with 88 receiving yards.