Most Viewed Stories
- Brown prepared to hold the line when Mater Dei goes for Division 1 title
- OCVarsity's countdown to the football championship games
- Fryer: Best offenses seem almost unstoppable
- Love for the game helps Santa Ana's Briseno brothers do great things
- Capo Valley proud of its fast, aggressive 'Dark Side' defense
Godinez suspends QB Ibarra for two games
Godinez quarterback Bryan Ibarra has been suspended for the first two games of the season, Coach Michael Echaves told the Register on Tuesday.
Echaves said Ibarra was disciplined for "internal reasons."
Ibarra is expected to be the centerpiece of the Grizzlies' offense after he led the team last season with 2,010 yards rushing, 1,040 yard passing and 35 touchdowns. Ibarra was named co-MVP for the Orange Coast League and first-team All-CIF as Godinez finished second in league and advanced to the second round of the CIF-SS playoffs.
"The hope is that behaviors will change," Echaves said. "We're confident that they will. This is just a step in our progressive discipline system."
Patrick McMorris, a sophomore running back and brother of former Mater Dei and current Cal fullback/tight end Malik McMorris, will step in at quarterback for Godinez's first two games, which are against Santa Ana and Sunny Hills.
"We're confident (Ibarra) can move forward in the program," Echaves said.