Fryer: O.C. Championships loaded with top volleyball teams
They call it the Orange County Championships. And they aren’t kidding.
The top seven boys volleyball teams in the county top 10 are in the Orange County Championships. The two-division tournament begins with pool play today at Corona del Mar, Edison, Huntington Beach and Newport Harbor.
Division 1 of the tournament has the teams ranked in the county top 10. The 1-7 teams: 1. Huntington Beach, 2. San Clemente, 3. Corona del Mar, 4. Dana Hills, 5. Los Alamitos, 6. Foothill, and 7. Santa Margarita. No. 9 Newport Harbor also is in the Division 1 part of the tournament.
Thirty-two teams are in the tournament, 16 in Division 1 and 16 in Division 2.
The Division 2 championship match is Monday at 6 p.m. at Edison. The Division 1 championship match follows.
Taking a look around Orange County high school sports:
• Two well-known football names are on top of the early leaderboards in track and field. Mater Dei football defensive lineman/fullback Malik McMorris has the season’s best mark in the CIF-SS in the discus at 190-feet and 7 inches. St. John Bosco lineman Matt Katnik is No. 1 in the shot put at 68-9.
• Section girls leaders in some field events are county athletes. Celine Smith of Mission Viejo has the best section mark in the long jump at 17-9¼; Mater Dei’s Jazmin Moss leads in the triple jump at 37-3¼; and, as she has for four years now, Santa Margarita’s Kaitlyn Merritt is the section pole vault leader at 13-6.
• Four times in the past eight years the Mater Dei boys basketball team won a CIF State championship in a season in which it did not win a CIF-Southern Section championship. Mater Dei, which lost in the CIF-SS Open Division semifinals, plays Fairfax of Los Angeles in the Southern California Regionals Open Division championship game Saturday at 8 p.m. at Walter Pyramid in Long Beach.
• Mater Dei held Fairfax to seven second-half points in the Monarchs’ 47-34 win in the Nike Extravaganza at Mater Dei last month.
• Mater Dei is No. 4 in the state boys basketball top 20. The CalHiSports.com rankings have Bishop O’Dowd of Oakland at No. 1 (that’s the team Mater Dei might play in the state finals if the Monarchs beat Fairfax), Bishop Montgomery (which lost to Mater Dei on Wednesday) is No. 2, Etiwanda (which beat Mater Dei in the CIF-SS Open Division semis) is No. 3 and Fairfax is No. 5. Orange Lutheran is No. 15.
• Mater Dei’s girls basketball team is No. 3 in the state top 20, which has Brea Olinda at No. 14. Chaminade of West Hills, Mater Dei’s opponent in the Open Division regional final Saturday at 6 p.m. at the Pyramid, is No. 1. The state’s top-ranked team is St. Mary’s of Stockton, which plays state No. 5 Miramonte of Orinda in the Northern California Open Division final on Saturday night.
• Six regional finals are at the Pyramid on Saturday. The girls Division II game is at 10 a.m., the boys Division II at noon, girls Division 1 at 2 p.m., boys Division 1 at 4 p.m. and the Open Division girls at 6 and Open Division boys at 8.
• General admission to the Pyramid is $18 for adults, $10 for seniors 65 and older, $10 for students with valid student identification and $10 for children 13 and younger. Reserved courtside seating is available for $48. Parking at the Pyramid is $5.
• We have a league rematch in the girls Division III regional final in which Brea Olinda plays El Dorado on Saturday at 6 p.m. at Colony High in Ontario. Brea beat El Dorado twice in Crestview League games. Admission to the games at Colony are $12 for adults and $8 for students and children.
• An Orange County boys basketball all-star game is Saturday at Irvine Valley College. It is a North vs. South affair in which Servite coach John Morris is coaching the North and Los Alamitos’ Eddie Courtemarche is coaching the South. Among the players expected to participate are, for the North, Ben Rico and Josh Rodriguez of Sonora, Jarrett Brodbeck of Esperanza, Rogers Printup of Orange Lutheran and Reed Nakakihara and Eric Patton of Foothill; and for the South, TJ Shorts of Tustin, Nicholas Anderson of Canyon, Brandon Smith of Godinez, Tyler Burch of Westminster and Brent Cahill of St. Margaret’s.
• Admission to the all-star game is $10 for adults and $7 for students and children.
• Edison’s baseball team had won six games in a row going into Thursday’s Sunset League opener against Huntington Beach. The streak included a 1-0 win over Villa Park in the Loara Tournament consolation championship game followed by a doubleheader sweep of Servite.
• San Clemente’s baseball and softball teams are in the state top 20. San Clemente is No. 2 in the CalHiSports.com California baseball rankings. The Tritons are No. 20 in the website’s softball rankings.
• JSerra is No. 1 in the state baseball rankings. Dana Hills is No. 6.
• Five county softball teams are in the state top 10: No. 1 Mission Viejo, No. 6 Orange Lutheran, No. 8 Canyon, No. 9 Los Alamitos and No. 10 Pacifica.
• A football camp and combine takes place March 28 at Fullerton College. Among the instructors are former Rams quarterback Vince Ferragamo and former Chiefs defensive back Sherman Cocroft. For information, call 949-630-7124 or visit 7on7TrainingAcademy.com.
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org