Most Viewed Stories
Boys track preview: O.C. top 10 teams
A breakdown of the top 10 teams in Orange County for the 2015 boys track and field season.
O.C. TOP 10
1. Dana Hills: All-County distance runners Jake Ogden and Mason Coppi lead the traditionally strong program. The Dolphins should also be strong in the hurdles.
2. Mission Viejo: A well-rounded team with a lot of speed in the hurdles. The Diablos will be looking for their third straight Orange County Championships title this year.
3. Woodbridge: Few will have the speed to match All-county sprinter Gabe Warner. The senior is the reigning CIF-SS Division 2 champion in the 400 meters with a time of 47.86.
4. Mater Dei: The Monarchs promise to be good on the track with a 400-relay team that has the potential to match last year’s CIF State qualifying group. Malik McMorris is as good as it gets in the throwing events.
5. Trabuco Hills: The Mustangs boast two of the area’s best pole vaulters in Luke Newman and Chris Doerr. Junior Cameron Hurd provides an additional boost in the hurdles as a CIF finalist.
6. Edison: AJ Beynon (hurdles, high jump, long jump, and pole vault) is a do-it-all athlete for the Chargers. The talent is widespread, meaning Edison could score in a lot of events.
7. Aliso Niguel: The Wolverines are hoping to sneak up on some teams as a legitimate contender in the South Coast League. Jack Galloway and Tyler Long head their exciting sprints team.
8. Tesoro: The Titans will battle to win the Sea View League. All-County cross country athlete Sander Kushen gives Tesoro the edge in the distance events, and the team should represent well in the jumps.
9. Servite: A deep and balanced team should lead the Friars to success during the invitational season. Servite is waiting on multiple transfers so we will have to wait until mid-spring to see what they are really capable of.
10. Brea Olinda: The Wildcats have the county’s most electrifying athlete on the track in Austin Tamagno. The reigning boys cross country athlete of the year is fourth on the county’s all-time list with a personal best of 4:05.24 in the 1,600 meters.