Most Viewed Stories
- Irvine girls water polo, swimming coach Scott Hinman dies
- Irvine's Scott Hinman, a trailblazer and leader in county swimming, dies after collapsing
- San Clemente holds off Valencia to win Anaheim Lions Tournament
- Crouse leads way as Dana Hills wins NHSI opener
- Ex-Irvine star Courtney Kuehl writes tribute to Coach Scott Hinman
Brethren Christian, Leonard dominate on the ground
HUNTINGTON BEACH – Junior running back Jordan Leonard rushed for 181 yards on 19 carries and scored three touchdowns to lead Brethren Christian to a 46-16 victory over Rio Hondo Prep of Arcadia in a nonleague game Friday at Ocean View High.
Leonard now has 18 touchdowns on the season to go along with 1,160 rushing yards in six games.
His most impressive run of the night came on the last play of the third quarter. He dropped his shoulder on two defenders for Rio Hondo Prep (2-3) defenders to turn a short gain into a 57-yard touchdown run.
Leonard wasn’t the only star of the night for the Warriors (6-0).
After starting quarterback Bobbie Conklin went down early in the second quarter with a leg injury, junior transfer Joey Gutierrez made his first appearance with the team. Gutierrez connected on a 33-yard touchdown pass to Joshua Gorell on his first pass to give Brethren Christian a 14-0 lead.
He finished with 221 passing yards, completing 13 of 21 passes, and was responsible for three touchdowns – two passing touchdowns and one he rushed for on a quarterback keeper.
Brethren Christian will travel to play a nonleague game at Dymally of Los Angeles next week.