Most Viewed Stories
- Irvine girls water polo, swimming coach Scott Hinman dies
- Irvine's Scott Hinman, a trailblazer and leader in county swimming, dies after collapsing
- Three proposals to reshape O.C. leagues make it to final voting stage
- San Clemente holds off Valencia to win Anaheim Lions Tournament
- Crouse leads way as Dana Hills wins NHSI opener
Girls scholar-athlete of the week: Gloria Bates, Orange Lutheran
Bates is a senior forward for the Lancers. She was selected CIF-SS Division 3A Player of the Year last year. She’s currently enrolled in Apologetics, AP Government, AP Latin, Honor Molecular Genetics, AP Calculus and AP English Language. Bates is also involved in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Program, Key Club and King Author, the school’s literary publication. Bates, who has applied to Claremont McKenna College, has earned AP Chemistry Student of the Year and AP Latin Student of the Month Awards. She’s also a National Honor Society and California Scholarship Federation member. Bates plans on majoring in Bio-Chemistry.